"Of this family George Gideon was the grandfather of our subject. He was born in Maryland and about 1819 removed to Champaign county, Ohio, where he made his home until coming to Clinton, Illinois, in 1847. Here he conducted a hotel, where the Masonic block is now located, but the building was afterward moved by the father of our subject, remodeled and converted into what is now known as the City Hotel. The grandfather laid out the Gideon addition to Clinton, it being now a residence portion of the city, and his home was on East Main street, where Mrs. Holderman now lives. Socially he was a member of the Masonic order. He died at the age of ninety-two years, and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Miller, and was also a native of Virginia, died at the age of seventy-two. Their children were George; Armstead; Peter; Wesley; Samuel; Jacob; Mrs. Sarah Savage; Catherine, who first married a Mr. Gerry and second a Mr. Campbell; Mrs. Ann Parker; and Mrs. Elizabeth Mitchell.
"George W. Gideon, our subject's father was born in Loudoun county, Virginia, in 1813, and accompanied his parents on their removal to Ohio, and later to Illinois. He purchased a farm of eighty acres adjoining Clinton, on which the Woodlawn cemetery has since been laid out, and he also owned what is now the Charles Kellogg place. For two years he was engaged in the grocery business in Clinton, and later bought the old Campbell store, which was a two-story building. This he moved to the lot adjoining the City Hotel, and up to the time that he was called to his final rest he conducted the hotel in this building. He attained the age of seventy-six years. As one of the leading and influential citizens he was several times elected to the town council, and also filled he office of justice of the peace for a time. Fraternally he was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In early life he married Miss Lydia Kidder, who was born near Hartford, Connecticut, in 1811, and died in 1868. She was a daughter of Nathaniel Kidder." - The Biographical Record of Dewitt County, Illinois (1901), S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., pp.275-276
"George William Gideon was born near Hillsboro, Virginia in 1813. He married Lydia Kidder in 1834 and she later died in Clinton in 1869. George W. Gideon purchased a farm of eighty acres adjoining Clinton on which Woodlawn Cemetery has since been laid out, and he also owned many other tracts and town lots. In 1853 he was one of the incorporators of the village of Clinton and was elected a member of the board of trustees. He was several times elected to the town council. They raised six children: Nathan Emery, Edwin Wallace, Lydia Ann, Speedy Ellen, Mary Elizabeth and Charles Rollins Gideon." - Clinton 1835-1985, Dewitt County, Illinois 1839-1985; IL (Dewitt) HIS 1985, pp.227-228; Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society Library, 201 E. Grove St., Bloomington, IL 61701
"Their son, George W. married Lydia Kidder and they were the parents of seven children. George became a prominent citizen of the city of Clinton and was one of the incorporators in 1853. He was elected a trustee and was considered one of the wealthiest men in the area. He had both money and land owning valuable farms. One farm began at the corner of Center and Webster Streets which included what is now known as Woodlawn Cemetery. His property also consisted of considerable amounts of timber and city properties. His unability to say no to friends and having to pay their security notes he died a poor man." - Clinton 1835-1985, Dewitt County, Illinois 1839-1985; IL (Dewitt) HIS 1985, pp.295-296; Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society Library, 201 E. Grove St., Bloomington, IL 61701; submitted by Mary Robb Kolp
George William Gideon and Lydia Kidder had the following children:
"Company E, Twentieth Illinois Regiment. E.W. Gideon, sergeant, appointed hospital steward, June 13, 1861; died at Clinton, November, 1861." - History of Dewitt County, Illinois; Pioneer Publishing Company (1910), p.158
"Twentieth Infantry. This regiment was organized, May 14, 1861, as volunteers. It was mustered into the United States service for three years, June 13, 1861, by Captain T.G. Pitcher, U.S.A. The regiment left Joliet, June 18, by order of Governor Yates, and proceeded to Alton, Illinois, Jul 6; moved to St. Louis Arsenal on the 10th; to Cape Girardeau; on the 12th; to Bird's Point; October 17th returned to Cape Girardeau; on the 19th moved to Fredericktown, and on the following day had an engagement with the enemy under Jefferson Thompson, in which it was victorious; January 14, 1862..." - History of Dewitt County, Illinois; Pioneer Publishing Company (1910), p.163
"Edwin W. Gideon, died at Clinton, Illinois, November 19, 1861." - History of Dewitt County, Illinois; Pioneer Publishing Company (1910), p.164
"Woodlawn cemetery is a tract of land in the northwest part of the city, and contains about sixty-five acres. This tract of land was formerly owned by George W. Gideon, whose son, Edwin W., came home from the front during the Civil war in 1861 on a furlough and soon afterward died. His remains were the first to be interred in this cemetery. ..." - History of Dewitt County, Illinois; Pioneer Publishing Company (1910), p.338
"Edwin was among the first to enlist in the Twentieth Illinois Infantry and gave his life for his country in 1861. George W. Gideon dedicated the hill on his home farm for a soldiers cemetery, rededicated as Woodlawn Cemetery, and his son was the first one buried there." - Clinton 1835-1985, Dewitt County, Illinois 1839-1985; IL (Dewitt) HIS 1985, pp.227-228; Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society Library, 201 E. Grove St., Bloomington, IL 61701
"His youngest son, Edwin, fought in the Civil War and while home on sick leave died. He asked to be buried on the hill where he had shot the shite turkey. This was done and later Mr. Gideon gave the Soldiers Plot to the City of Clinton. Some years later the city bought sixty five acres which is now Woodlawn Cemetery." - Clinton 1835-1985, Dewitt County, Illinois 1839-1985; IL (Dewitt) HIS 1985, pp.295-296; Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society Library, 201 E. Grove St., Bloomington, IL 61701; submitted by Mary Robb Kolp
"...However, the company (Twentieth Illinois Regiment, Company E) was held in state service and on Friday, May 10, it went into camp at Camp Goodell, at Joliet. Prior to leaving, the ladies of Clinton presented the company with a handsome flag, the work of their hands. The presentation speech was made by Miss Lydia Gideon, (later Mrs. J.M. Prior) and the flag was accepted on behalf of the company by Dr. Christopher Goodbrake. That flag was worn out in the service. ..." - History of Dewitt County, Illinois; Pioneer Publishing Company (1910), p.152
"Lydia married first Ben K. Shurtliff and then later Joseph M. Prior. Mr. Prior conducted a daily newspaper in Clinton. Mrs. Prior died in Minnesota in 1929." - Clinton 1835-1985, Dewitt County, Illinois 1839-1985; IL (Dewitt) HIS 1985, pp.227-228; Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society Library, 201 E. Grove St., Bloomington, IL 61701
"Mary [Speedy's twin sister] married William M. Clagg in Clinton in 1860. Mr. Clagg was engaged in the fur trade business. In 1869 the family moved to Fort Dodge where Mrs. Clagg died in 1928." - Clinton 1835-1985, Dewitt County, Illinois 1839-1985; IL (Dewitt) HIS 1985, pp.227-228; Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society Library, 201 E. Grove St., Bloomington, IL 61701
"Speedy, twin sister of Mary Gideon Clagg, was married to Rolla Richards. Mrs. Richards died in Clinton in 1918." - Clinton 1835-1985, Dewitt County, Illinois 1839-1985; IL (Dewitt) HIS 1985, pp.227-228; Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society Library, 201 E. Grove St., Bloomington, IL 61701
"Nate Gideon left Clinton about three years ago and bought a farm near Unique, Iowa. For the past year his health was poor, and thinking that a residence in a milder climate for the winter would help him, he started in a wagon, with his family, for the southeast part of Missouri. In the journey he became worse in health, and the family were obliged to rest for a few days at the home of Peter Gideon, a cousin of Nate's. On Sunday, unexpectedly to his physician and his family, Nate died. His body arrived here on Wednesday and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery." - The Clinton Public, 2 Nov 1883
"Nathan was born in Ohio in 1834. He left Clinton with his wife, Amy Phares, and five children about 1880 for a farm in Iowa. He died in 1883 while on the way from Iowa to Missouri and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. Amy was remarried to Asel Waldo of Braymer, Missouri in 1885 and she died in 1888." - Clinton 1835-1985, Dewitt County, Illinois 1839-1985; IL (Dewitt) HIS 1985, pp.227-228; Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society Library, 201 E. Grove St., Bloomington, IL 61701
He married Mary Caroline Bell in Clinton, Dewitt Co, IL, 10 Oct 1873. Mary was born in Marion Co, OH 1 Oct 1854, the daughter of George Bell and Phoebe Williams. Mary died 17 Oct 1942 in Clinton, Dewitt Co, IL. Her body was interred in Woodlawn Cemetery, Clinton, Dewitt Co, IL.
"One of the busiest, most energetic and most enterprising men of Clinton is Charles R. Gideon, who deals in all kinds of paper and paints and carries on a large business in painting, papering and decorating. He was born on the 3d of July, 1850, on East Main street, Clinton, in a house that occupied the site where Mrs. Holderman now resides, and is a son of George William Gideon, who was for many years an honored citizen of this place. The founder of the family in America was Peter Gideon, Sr., a native of Holland, who, in company with his wife and son, Peter, Jr., started for the new world prior to the Revolutionary war, but the wife died en voyage. Peter, Jr. located in Maryland, but afterward removed to Loudoun county, Virginia, where he followed farming until his death. Both he and his father, Peter, Sr., fought for the independence of the colonies in the Revolutionary war. The former died at the advanced age of ninety-six years. He had three sons, George, William and Henry.
"...In early life Charles R. Gideon, of this review, learned the art of house painting, papering and decorating, to which business he has since devoted his energies, and is today one of the leading business men in his line in the city, employing seven or more men during the busy season. Since reaching manhood his sons have been associated with him. He has done the painting and decorating on many of the principal buildings of the city, and his own handsome residence erected in 1900, excels all others in decorations. He possesses much artistic talent and has a rare and choice collection of drawings and paintings which he executed himself. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity and the Universalist church, to which his father also belonged, but his grandfather held membership in the Methodist Episcopal church.
"In 1873, Mr. Gideon wedded Miss Mary C. Bell, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of George and Phoebe Bell, of this county. By this union were born five children: George Walter, Paul, Edwin, Flora Belle and Phoebe Ellen. The sons are all associated with their father in business. George Walter married Mrs. May Stell." - The Biographical Record of Dewitt County, Illinois (1901), S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., pp.275-276
"Charles R. Gideon, one of the prominent and highly respected citizens of Clinton, passed away in his home at 803 North Jackson avenue, about 10 o'clock Saturday morning, February 26, following a long illness of a complication of diseases.
"Deceased was the son of George W. and Lillian Gideon and was born in Clinton, July 3, 1850, grew to manhood and resided here all of his life, and will be buried on land that at one time was a part of the home farm of his father. He was united in marriage October 10, 1873, in Clinton, to Miss Caroline Bell, a native of Hancock county, Ohio, who came to Illinois at the age of one year.
"To this union five children were born, all of whom are living and are as follows: Walter Gideon of Baton Rouge, La.; Mrs. G.L. Robb of Clinton; Paul Gideon of Eldorado, Ark.; Edwin Gideon and Phoebe Gideon of Clinton, Illinois, the later residing at the late home. Besides his wife and children, the deceased is survived by two sister, Mrs. Lydia Prior of Excelsior, Minn. and Mrs. William Clagg of Sheldon, Iowa. Miss Ann Williams of East Van Buren street, Clinton, is a cousin of the deceased. He is also survived by eighteen grandchildren.
"For many years Mr. Gideon conducted one of the leading paint and paper businesses of Cllnton. In addition to his business, he was an artist, and on the walls of his home and those of his children hang many beautiful paintings. He was, in fact, a man of many talents, but very modest and retiring in his disposition. To know him was to love him. Every piece of work he did, whether it was a barn he painted, or a picture, it was done in the very best possible manner. His motto was `Anything that is worth doing at all is worth doing well.' Several years ago he made and painted the set of flags used on the chautauqua platform and in other places by W.F. Hughes. He has also written many poems and other articles which delighted his friends and hearers.
"His father, the late George W. Gideon, owned a great deal of land near Clinton, on part of which is now situated Woodlawn cemetery. The piece of ground on which is situated the place occupied by the Soldier's monument was given to Clinton for that purpose by George W. Gideon. Edwin Gideon, a brother of the deceased, was the first person to be buried in Woodlawn cemetery, coming home on a furlough form the Civil war and dying while home.
"Mr. Gideon was a member of St. Paul's Universalist church of Clinton, and was clerk of that congregation for twenty years. He was also a member of the Plantagent lodge of the Knights of Pythis of Clinton and a charter member of the McCorkle club. Many of his poems and other original writings have been read at meetings of that club.
"He retired from active business several years ago on account of failing health and had since then passed most of his time at his home. The funeral services will be conducted at the family home Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock in charge of Rev. M.G. Linton and Plantagent lodge, K. of P. Burial will be made in Woodlawn cemetery." - The Clinton Register, 27 Feb 1921, p.1
Charles R. Gideon and Mary Caroline Bell had the following children:
433. i. George Walter Gideon He married May Stell.
434. ii. Paul Gideon.
435. iii. Edwin Gideon.
436. iv. Flora Belle Gideon. She married George Lester Robb.
"Flora Belle, his daughter, was teacher in the Clinton schools. In 1901 she married George Lester Robb, also a school teacher. They were the parents of four children: Paul B., Mary, Ruth and George. Paul and Ruth are deceased and George lives in Arizona." - Clinton 1835-1985, Dewitt County, Illinois 1839-1985; IL (Dewitt) HIS 1985, pp.295-296; Bloomington-Normal Genealogical Society Library, 201 E. Grove St., Bloomington, IL 61701; submitted by Mary Robb Kolp
437. v. Phoebe Ellen Gideon.
Back to Valentine MILLER and Sarah CONARD Page
Back to MILLER Main Page
Back to Main Page